Friday, October 17, 2008

Sorry Sensei,

I didn't post on my blog last week like I was supposed to, so i'll do it now. Plus this is a convenient way to avoid doing homework. I can sort of pretend this is homework and avoid studying Grammar.

I have been reading through a bunch of other people's blog's in Japanese but it's very difficult still, even after installing Rikai-chan and having studied Japanese in Japan for six months. There's such a big gap between speaking ability and reading ability in Japanese, it's pretty frustrating sometimes being pretty much functionally illiterate. I have been studying Kanji pretty hard lately but I don't like the way we learn the Kanji in class. We learn them totally divorced from the compounds, so even if i recognise every Kanji in a new compound, chances are I won't be able to read it. Although I might get the meaning just from the Kanji meanings.


That's about it for blogging for now.

2 comments:

Pe Tomomi said...

Hey 留学生! Thanks for your comment!
ha
I'm not a nerd or something actually. :p
My eye's been pretty poorly recently.That is why Ive just been putting my glasses.

KMCheese said...

I enjoyed reading your comment. I am a little concerned that you are not learning kanji in compounds (these would be called 熟語 in Japanese, for those Japanese students who may not understand what we mean by "compounds"). If you are leaning kanji in the context of sentences, then I think that's good. I believe that words must be learned in context. I am also not a big fan of heavy emphasis on grammar. (I hope I'm not going to get myself in trouble with your Japanese teacher.)